Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Additional Activity #1

 This is a picture of Pitcarin Islands
Before doing this activity, I had never used Google Squared or WloframAlpha. I found both of these sites to be very helpful and informative. I wish that I would have known about them before now because I can think of so many times in the past that I could have benefited from these sites! Students might find these sites incredibly helpful when completing an assignment such as a Geography assignment because their searches will provide them with more than enough information about places around the world. While the sites are incredibly helpful for things like this, they can also be used to gather many other types of information. Another thing that I particulary liked was the set up of graphs and charts provided as a result of searches done on these sites.

After completing some searches on Google Squared and WolframAlpha, my views on the video Did You Know? have changed a little bit. It makes a huge difference when you realize the population differences between China, India, and the United States. At first I felt like these countries were sort of racing past us in education, but now I do not feel that way so much. Of course they have more honor students and english speaking students, because they have more students period. I now realize how important it is to analyze information when you are given a statistic before jumping to conclusion about the facts that you have been given. Even if the things that you have been told are true, they might not be what you think they are.... do research before being totally amazed is the lesson that I got out if this!

No comments:

Post a Comment