Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post Assignment #10

Morgan Bayda's blog post was very nice to read and it inspired me in more ways than one. In this post, Morgan discussed the ways that she is faced with boring lecture classes in school. She says that in these classes, she and her classmates are almost never encouraged to discuss the things that are being studied and that she struggles to stay awake during these types of classes. This reminded me of many of the classes that I have been through in my past, and this encourages me to not teach this way when I become a teacher in the future.

Like Morgan has stated, she is encouraged to constantly interact with her classmates in classes such as her computer class. This also reminds me of myself because of the things that we are assigned to do in this class. It seems to me that students will almost always enjoy collaborating and learning from their classmates, so why not incorporate these things into all classrooms? I definitely agree with her last statement: we cannot be afraid to change things. In order to give our students the best education possible, we almost have to change things so that they are being educated for the world that they will be living in and not a world of the past.

The video Two Questions That Can Change Your Life was very thought provoking for me. I never thought about every person in the world having their own personal sentence, but I believe that this kind of thinking can inspire many people to want to make a difference in our world. My sentence would be that I am trying to make the world a better place by encouraging young people to love themselves for what they are good at and not strive to be something that they are not. It is so easy for students to beat themselves up over what they cannot do and not even realize all of the wonderful things that they can do. I think that this is something that is very important to help young people see- that they are all great at something.

The second question in this video was also wonderful. Simply asking yourself if you were better today than you were yesterday is a great way to feel like you have accomplished something. There is no need to try to save the world, because you will just become discouraged and upset when you continue to fail. As long as you have made a difference in even the smallest way, even if it is only in your own life, you have accomplished something that is special. Remembering this question at the end of everyday is a great way to lift your spirits and to have the motivation to continue to make a difference each and every day!
bored student

2 comments:

  1. You're right about collaborating with others. I love it! When you're working on a project with a group, everyone's ideas help improve the project. One person will suggest something you may never would've thought of. Great post! I love the background of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post May!

    I agree, student collaboration is extremely important. However, I think the blog is the single best thing that is taught in EDM310. The blog is an outstanding educational tool for students and teachers. From the student's perspective, it is a place to organize everything you do including virtually any multimedia you want. The blog is also a great way for students to hone their expressive writing skills from reporting on what they have done or discovered to reflecting on how things could be enhanced or improved. Student blogs also allow the teacher to keep up with when students have completed assigned work. From the teacher's perspective using a class blog is an excellent course management tool providing a platform for multimodal presentation, dissemination of important course information, and feedback from students. The class blog also provides students a place where they can access anything they need for the course 24/7.

    ReplyDelete