Saturday, October 23, 2010

Blog Post Assignment # 9

student success
Mr. McClung's post, What I've Learned This Year , was very helpful and neat to read. This post has reminded me of things that I know I will have to keep in mind in my years of teaching, especially my first year. I realize that it might be easy to forget to practice some of the things that we know we should be doing, and posts like this one remind us to do those things.

I really took to heart what Mr. McClung had to say about technology because I am one of those people who have never really used it a lot. While I am slowly becoming more and more familiar with technology, I still fell a little bit overwhelmed by it sometimes. When I become a teacher, I will be committed to allowing my students all of the educational benefits that technology can provide us with even if it takes me extra time to learn how to use that technology. In this class, I have learned to embrace technology and its place in the classroom instead of being afraid of it because I am unfamiliar with it.

The other thing that really stood out to me in this post was that we should not set our students' goals too high. It is going to be our responsibility to set our students up for achievements so that they do not become discouraged and quite trying. I have seen teachers scold their students for not accomplishing a goal when that particular goal was not really in the student's reach to begin with. This is not fair to the student and will probably end up hurting their self esteem. As a teacher, I will try to follow all of these tips that Mr. McClung has given us, but I realize that I definitely will not be perfect. Each year I will be able to learn from my mistakes like Mr. McClung has and use them to become a better teacher the following year.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I have also had to embrace technology, especially in the classroom since the teachers I am observing with are not very familiar with it either. Not setting goals too high for our students also stood out to me. I never thought about that before reading this post. You made a good point about not letting them get discouraged by setting goals to high for them. Your blog looks great, but we are supposed to add images to every blog post. I didn't know that until this past week, so I just wanted to give you a heads up! Keep up the good work!
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you reconcile your comments about setting goals with those of Randy Pausch? Randy kept saying set the bar higher and higher. Yoiu will be surprised. mr. McClung suggests that set too high they can be a source of discouragement. Where do you stand?

    Mr. McClung's most important contribution was not what he wrote, but what he did. It is my hope that every EDM310 graduate will engage in regular, honest, public self-reflection. It has to do with where we set the bar. Think about that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that where you set goals for your students obviously has to do with the individual themselves. It will be our job as teachers to figure out exactly what each of the students are capable of and then create the goals. Of course I will push for each of my students to constantly strive for bigger and better things, but not those things that are out of their reach.

    ReplyDelete